Pinout of the 8-pin connector is:
1: (16) +12V
2: (2) Bus+
3: (7) K-Line
4: (15) L-Line
5: (6) CAN-H
6: (14) CAN-L
7: (10) Bus
8: (5+4) GND
Pinout of the OBD2 connector:
Project plan is:
1. Install standard 9pin CAN connector and connection to +12V. Connect it to an external power supply.
2. Fix bluetooth connection to my computer and pair it/try to talk with it.
3. Hook it up to a kvaser usbcan + canking and try to send frames.
4. Install an in-circuit programmer (PICkit2) connector
5. Install MPLAB IDE
6. Try to read-out the code. Check if its possible to re-program it.
7. If not possible, replace the PIC
8. Write my own program for it, with filters and frame-sending capabilities.
2011-02-13 BT connection in Ubuntu 10.10 works
Finally found my BT-USB dongle and managed to connect to the standard ELM327 over BT device.
Connected 12V to the connector.
After installing all needed BT stuff in ubuntu I could see the device:
# hcitool scan Scanning ... 00:0D:18:B2:73:6C CBT # sdptool search sp Inquiring ... Searching for sp on 00:0D:18:B2:73:6C ... Service Name: Dev B Service RecHandle: 0x10000 Service Class ID List: "Serial Port" (0x1101) Protocol Descriptor List: "L2CAP" (0x0100) "RFCOMM" (0x0003) Channel: 1 Language Base Attr List: code_ISO639: 0x656e encoding: 0x6a base_offset: 0x100 # mknod -m 666 /dev/rfcomm0 c 216 0 # chmod ugo+rw /dev/rfcomm0 # rfcomm connect /dev/rfcomm0 00:0D:18:B2:73:6C Connected /dev/rfcomm0 to 00:0D:18:B2:73:6C on channel 1 Press CTRL-C for hangupIn another shell fired up minicom:
minicom -D /dev/rfcomm0Tried some AT commands. (Google for "elm327 at commands")
2011-03-12 All protection bits set..
Hooked up a pickit2 to try to read out the code..
I had to disconnect MCLR pin and bent it up before soldering a wire to it.. (yellow).
Unfortunately, the pirated ELM327 does not want to be pirated :-/ All read protection bits were set. Also all write protection bits were set too. This means that the current pic18f2480 is useless.
Ordered new pic:s to replace it.
Still waiting for my pics to show up...
The pics showed up 23:rd, haven't got time to figure out if I should make my own HW instead of destroying my ELM thingie..